Wednesday, July 20, 2011

handwriting...

I've been doing a lot of writing lately.  After my wonderful Bali experience, there seem to be an awful lot of first sentences for novels or short stories floating around on bits of paper, banged out in a random word document when the computer's up and running or typed haphazardly on the iPad if that's the closest thing to hand.
One thing I have been trying to do is my morning pages...three pages of handwritten stream of consciousness. Oh the drivel that sometimes comes out of the end of a pen onto lined paper in the early hours of the morning is something to behold. Or perhaps not :)
I use one of these lovely Christina Re journals that I won on Louise's blog
But it makes me think about handwriting. I like to write, provided I have the right pen. A fine nibbed ballpoint is the weapon of choice for me. Cheap pens from hotels I've stayed in seem to be the best for some bizarre reason. And my handwriting is not too shabby. Not fancy or anything. No clever embellishments, no swirls and twirls. But when I'm 'in the flow or the zone' or whatever it is, my writing looks pretty good. It too is fluid, languid, easy to do, and easy on the eye. I can also do a reasonable imitation of a type font when I put my mind to it. But that requires a different pen...and a whole lot more time!
But when I'm in a hurry or my thoughts are jagged, my writing takes that form on as well. Do you find that? Or is the art of handwriting just dead and buried, used only for shopping lists or by very well mannered people who write thank you notes? I hope not. There's such pleasure in reading something that's been lovingly written don't you think. 
I will leave you with the words of Norbet Platt...I don't know who he is or was.. not even google helped me with that..but I stumbled upon this quote yesterday and I like what he says. I think my morning pages are doing this for me.


"The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium."


And speaking of equilibrium, thank you to everyone who left a comment, emailed or facebooked after my last post...you're very kind you lot. And while the zen may not be completely back it's certainly getting there. Some balance has been regained. And that's a very good thing. The top ten might even make it back next week at this rate :)
images 1 and 3 found on pinterest

14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that there is a bit of mini zen floating about you. I'm do impressed with your morning pages, all I can manage are some semi coherent blog comments.
    I like writing by hand, there is something about it the requires just a little more thought. When you mentioned handwriting I automatically thought of a post by A-M ( the house that A-M built) last week that showed the handwriting of a friend of hers. It was so beautiful and dare I say unexpected as he is a man.
    Maybe there'll be a return to handwriting?
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps Bill, that's his name! And it looks like A-M has posted about him today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sarah. I'll check it out...I've been very remiss with my blog reading lately :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love receiving handwritten notes. I had pretty hideous handwriting, so I prefer to print. ;)
    I've missed a few posts, so I'll have to find out why you only have some of your "zen" back. Hope all is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love receiving handwritten notes! I love to write most evryday in my journal and having some alone time with myself and reflecting on my day and life!

    Hope you have good night,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my greatest regrets has always been my terrible script. My grandfather had beautiful copperplate handwriting and I have kept a few samples. Thanks for the gorgeous inspiration of your pages - absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kerry,
    It's so lovely to hear that you are getting back to your old self. It's good to see you posting as well.
    I think that it's such a shame that the handwritten letter is becoming a thing of the past. I had to write to a solicitor this morning and, because my printer isn't working, I hand wrote it. My writing is very arty and swirly ( the legacy of everyone trying to out swirl the next person at school ) and, after writing the envelope, felt like getting the wax and seal out !!!! I guess we have to move with the times, but there is nothing more romantic that a hand written letter.
    Keep that creative writing going, as I will be wanting a signed copy of the first published piece !! No pressure !!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3 pages...and in the morning too. I hate to think what would come from my non-morning person stream of consciousness! And it would probably be written in my minute illegible scrawl. I do love writing though - I'm a pencil girl. Give me a lovely pencil anyday, and it encourages me to write my best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your handwriting is beautiful...and easy to read!!!! Like you I am trying to write again all a bit negative at the moment and all handwritten so I can toss it when I am ready but already there is a small positive word creeping in every now and then so I will continue. Top's handwriting was a beautiful old fashioned script I'm afraid mine is totally unreadable by anyone other than me and quite often not even me!!!! Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I treasure every handwritten letter I receive, Kerry as they're so uncommon nowadays. You've seen my handwriting - what do you think it says about me?! J x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kerry,
    Norbert A. Platt is (or maybe was) the CEO of Montblanc, the company that makes the most beautiful pens.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep up the writing - it's so therapeutic if nothing else! And its sounds like Bali was great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Kerry,
    Yes i definately notice that my own handwriting is dependent upon my mood...sort of like my paintings too. I think you write amazingly well, your posts nearly always make me chuckle, and i can just feel your personality behind them...going to Bali has probably just confirmed for you what we all have been aware of reading your blog regularily. I love the pictures you choose to post too, makes it a pleasure to scroll through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to write too. The journal is gorgeous! Wouldn't mind reading some of that 'stream of consciousness', I bet it's funny! Rachaelx

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you comment...I feel excited, chuffed and tranquil all at the same time! Thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails