[yesterday's fat mum slim photoaday pic - a favourite word]And while I said that I wouldn’t make the blog a diary of my personal trials and tribulations, it occurred to me that there have been a few light bulb moments lately that may be worth sharing. Some universal truths if you like. Things that have hit me over the head and not, I dare say, for the first time in my life either! In no particular order:
- Uncertainty is anxiety inducing, so make sure you get the answers, even if you don’t like them.
- Not knowing is much, much worse than knowing.
- You can’t look forward while you’re constantly looking back.
- Everyone owns a piece of the truth about a situation – you should find out what those truths are.
- Exercise really does help, much as I hate to admit it :)
- Find something to immerse yourself in. Develop a new interest or rekindle an old. For me it’s been a digital photography course (I've got a long way to go but here are some early attempts...and remember possums, Rome wasn't built in a day!)
- When you're very sad you should be kind to yourself, kinder than you've ever been.
- You always need something to look forward to...for me it's travel. Morocco in December, and a work trip to Shanghai in September.
- Let yourself feel all the emotions you need to feel, whether they're 'worthy' or not, but probably think for a bit before acting on them. Not one of my strengths I'm afraid :)
- There will always be a reason for what’s happening, even if it’s not clear and even if you don’t like it, or even if it’s just to confirm that sometimes there really is no good reason!
- Remind yourself of timeless wisdom - I'm re-reading The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, especially the part describing how we feel sorrow because we've previously experienced joy, and vice versa - it's comforting. It's ageless. This too shall pass right?
- Take any help that’s offered, but only if you’re ready to receive it – sometimes it’s not quite the right time.
- There’s no such thing as perfect. No, really, there isn’t, but imperfection can be ok too. We just need to see beyond the imperfections.
And if all else fails, take the day off work and go on a road trip with some buddies to that place that sells the Swedish meatballs (yeah, that one)…that’s what I’m doing today. Have a fab weekend. I've got a photography course field trip to Captain's Flat tomorrow. Fun. Yes, it surely will be...if only I can find my memory card. Sigh.
all images: kerry martin / a tranquil townhouse