Thursday, August 12, 2010

my creative space...vintage japanese silk cushion

What a frustrating day off! I have a new sewing machine that I am determined to love...once it gets its button hole action together that is. Grrrr.
I was trying to sew a cushion cover from this...
...glorious 50 year old Japanese Meisen silk I bought at the Craft and Art Fair in Canberra last weekend...a fabulous event that I forgot to take my camera to. Sometimes I wonder what I'm thinking! The panel wasn't quite wide enough for a standard 46cm cushion cover so I bought some black silk to go with it.
This blue and cream silk panel (more Japanese vintage) will be teamed with the spotted fabric on the left for a bit of fun...
Because the button hole thingamajig wouldn't work (even manually) my friend Chris saved the day and did them on her machine, so I could finish the cover off...at around 7.30 last night I might add...almost a whole day to make one cushion...honestly! I do like the detailing on the back ...the buttons are very beautiful but the lighting last night was not my friend...sorry!
Still, despite the frustrations, I think it's rather swish and there'll be a matching one coming soon with the black panel on the opposite side. When I sort out the button holer!!
I'm also planning cushions made from this beautiful old orange and pink sari and the mauve silk. These cushions will have a piped edging.
And this is going to be my weekend project...I think that will be a bit of fun when it's done :)
Head on over to Kootoyoo for the creative spaces of crafty people who don't take all day to make one cushion cover!! Also linking up to Flaunt it Friday here. I'm off to Sydney for a meeting and hopefully a late lunch with the first born. Hope it's a good day for you too :)
all photos by me, not that they're that great!

24 comments:

  1. Dear Kerry, Only a day to make a cushion cover. That is positively speedy in my book and it does look very pretty. Producing buttonholes would be quite beyond me with or without a sewing machine and I suppose that a zip would not have had the desired effect? Only wondering....does the cover ever need to come off? Mine all age beautifully in situ or so I tell myself!! So I have no need for buttonholes or zips. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous fabrics Kerry! Love the way you did the pillow with the black on the side. Hope you cme to terms with the button holes! It took me ages to get used to mine on the current machine as well. I have 3 cushions in the family room that need buttonholes and I keep avoiding them so we just stuff the cushions back in as they slide out. Now you have made me feel like I better get them done! Love the sari and purple fabric. You've given me some ideas for my fabric stash! have a great day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you have created a very stylish cushion there! Fit to be sold in a shop I'd say. Love the way you have used the fabric with the black strip down one side. I know it took all day fiddling with the new sewing machine but the end result is worth it. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really fabulous Kerry, the fabrics, the textures, the colors, the sowing! I can't even sow one straight inch! Thank got for the capable people that help me out with putting together my designs :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. That orange and pink silk is amazing! You are a clever cookie Kerrie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great fabrics Kerry and you've done a great job. Boy it's frustrating when the darn sewing machine doesn't wrok properly.
    I love your colour combos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fabric you have chosen is beautiful. Great cushions. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. love that fabric darl, spectacular taste you have! jxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's all fun and games until someone's buttonholer packs it in, but seriously, these look AMAZING!!! I love the fabrics and the colours - divine. Well worth all the aggravation in my opinion, and that's from someone who also has a love/hate relationship with her sewing machine! K xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just gorgeous Kerry. It's funny how fiddly and time-comsuming making stuff like that can be though once it's all finished you forget about the pain and just admire the result (hmm, a little like child birth maybe - or so I'm told :-)
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well it may have taken all day, but the end result is fab. I love the fabric, and the black accent piece, and the gorgeous buttons. Well done! Just don't quit your day job - I'm just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahahaha...Kerry I had to laugh...this post gave me great comfort to know that Im not the only one. I too have a new sewing machine that was given to me as a birthday present from my lovely mother inlaw...and I have enjoyed playing around with it..and have made 1 cushion so far..but I chickened out and did it the easy peasy way..envelope style..no buttons..no button holes..lol
    I havent even worked out how to use that option on my machine.

    I LOVE all your fabrics..just gorgeous..and your cushion turned out so beautiful..love it! Love the idea using the old Sari as your next DIY cushion cover..a gorgeous combo. Thanks for the suggested link..will be sure to check them out. Have a great day lovely lady x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The silk fabrics are just lovely. I can totally understand your frustrations, but just look how lovely it all turned out! Take a deep breath before you start the next one. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That japanese silk is devine....and your day for a cushion was like the last day I ever used my machine...it just doesn't like me....and its trying to make me look bad at sewing....well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow wee, this is all amazing, great work, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful fabrics! Your cushion looks fab, and don't worry, my button hole thingy on my machine HATES me!!
    Flick x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really pretty fabrics and cushions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. At least you got a wonderful result for your day's work and frustrations! Very nice cushion cover. Hope you get that button hole issue sorted out soon

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that fabric!!!! WOW, it is amazing! I hope you find some loving ground with your new sewing machine soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. you are too clever- and it does take patience doesn't it!!
    they look wonderful- isn't it amazing how a new cushion is like a lick of wall paint- it changes how a room feels...

    melissa xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loooove that Japanese silk cushion! It looks gorgeous with the black!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it, very crafty. I've always wanted to try something like that, but I'm not great with fabric...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Howdy are using Wordpress for your site platform?

    I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and set up
    my own. Do you require any coding knowledge to make your own
    blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Feel free to surf to my page :: diets that work fast for women

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you comment...I feel excited, chuffed and tranquil all at the same time! Thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails