Thursday, March 17, 2011

guest post by tina...country...handy tips for making a tree change!


Hi everyone, my name is Tina and I have a blog called Rubies' Place, which is all about our simple life in an Australian country town.  Our beautiful friend Kerry has asked me to do a guest post for her here at a Tranquil Townhouse, whilst she is kicking up her heels (in her gorgeous, recently purchased boots)  across the US.  This is my first guest post, so I hope I do her proud and that you enjoy a little peek into our country experience.

We have not always lived in the country...no!  We were previously living in Sydney, with long work and school commutes, never sitting down to a meal together, let alone spending any quality time as a family.  So, we decided on a 'tree-change' six years ago. We moved to a fabulous country town in the New England area of North West NSW.
 Our town is full of old character filled weatherboard cottages...
 tree lined streets...
wood fires in winter, gardens full of old fashioned roses...
and  it takes us literally less than two minutes to drive out of town into the quintessential Australian countryside.  Everything we had dreamed of before making the move.
We have read so many articles on tree-changes 'that have turned to dust' and how many people regret moving from the city to the country.  Well, I have to say that we have NO regrets about moving out of the city.  Mind you, in saying that, we weren't quite as prepared for country living as we thought we were.  So here are 7 tips for you, if you ever think about moving to the country from the city.

1.  Practise extracting your foot from your mouth, before making the move!  Seriously...country towns are small and everyone is either related to each other, or know each other.  I consider myself to be a very diplomatic person, but have found myself with a big old R.M William's heel sticking out of my mouth on quite a few occasions ;) (oh, yeah.... R.M. Williams boots are a MUST for anyone considering a tree change).
 2.  Shops in small country towns close at lunchtime on Saturday...no, seriously, they REALLY, REALLY DO!!!   Speaking of shops, country towns are filled with amazing shops and the thing that I love most, is that you can choose to support a local family-owned business over large chain stores... my favourite shop in our town is called Kitchen Addiction, a family-owned Kitchen wares store run by my lovely friend Fiona .
  KITCHEN ADDICTION WINDOW DISPLAYS
...so if you are ever in Armidale, you really must pop in!!  Beware, you won't be able to leave empty-handed!!
3.  In the country, when a tradesman says that they will be turning up on a particular day....check which week they are talking about...'I will be there Wednesday...'  could mean ANY Wednesday in the next 6 months.  We cooked on a BBQ on our front porch for 9 months, it took that long for our kitchen to be made....but I do think it was worth the wait :D

4.  Be prepared to be dragged to a local rodeo by well meaning neighbours who have been 'country folk' their whole lives....go on, you have to do it once in your lifetime!
5.  Learn to bake BEFORE you move, otherwise you will spend the first twelve months following your tree-change, feeling incredibly inadequate ...everyone in the country can BAKE!!

6.   Old character-filled weatherboard cottages, have absolutely NO built in storage!!  so either factor that into your budget or bring a truckload of cupboards and wardrobes with you, otherwise, I swear it will drive you insane sometimes!!
7.  Be prepared to have come across whole herds of cattle in the middle of country roads....  Also be prepared to have to turn off the engine in your car and wait for however long it takes, for said herds of cattle to decide they will move off the road and let you pass...true story, has happened many times!

So now that you have these little pearls of wisdom, you are more than prepared for a tree change ...or maybe just a visit or drive to your nearest country town.  Either way, go out and enjoy all of the fabulousness that Australian the countryside has to offer, you will love it, I promise!

Tina xx

33 comments:

  1. I learned something new in your post. I have never, ever heard of a move from the city to the country being called a tree change. Wonder where that term came from? Your favourite store looks lovely - not many can leave a kitchen store empty handed! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post Tina, I really enjoyed reading it. I long to live in the country but my husband is not keen at all. Plus, work is in the city. I'll remember these tips if my dream ever comes true. We're going for a country drive to Northern Victoria this weekend, can't wait! Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post Tina! My goodness, your friend's shop looks so tempting! It sounds as though you live the perfect lifestyle xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would live in the country in a flash if my husband would go. I was born to be a farmer I think.

    I so enjoyed this post Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post Tina! Some days a tree change sounds extremely tempting xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a great post Tina, I haven't thought about a lot of those things! Sometimes I feel like I'd like to make a tree change. I think maybe when we're retired we will - more time to wait for cows to move :)
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tina, thank you so much for doing this for me. Start looking for a place for me in Armidale my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tina, I just love this post. You make country living sound like so much fun. It IS a learning experience and you must do as the locals do...or else!! I really enjoyed all of your beautiful pictures, too!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enthralling, Tina - thanks for this! So many practical aspects I hadn't contemplated. Well done. J x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for your lovely comments, I am glad you enjoyed my guest post. Thanks so much, Kerry for asking me to do this post, it was a lot of fun! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!! Ejoy:) Hugs ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post - I love finding out more about you!! Enjoy the rest of your week - Annie xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having lived for a time in Walcha [as you know an even smaller country town than Armidale] for several years in my childhood, I have a soft spot for your pocket of the world.
    Just as I do for you Miss Tina and all that you share of your wonderful 'new' life.

    Kudos for you for taking the 'leap of faith', your tree change seems to suit you well.

    xx Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful guest post Tina...I would move to the Country in a heartbeat...it is always something I have dreamed of doing, maybe one day that will become a reality :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have prepared me well and I am ready to point myself in the direction of "country" and follow my heart! Absolutely loved your post -- then again, I always do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post Tina - your friend's kitchen shop looks amazing and the shot of your town in breathtaking. Paul would love to up and move to his favourite spot down south here in the country... one day maybe :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. There no better change than a Tree Change...and it is something that both hubby and I have talked alot about lately...I would love somewhere far enough from all the city craziness at times..but not to far so that I an always get my shopping fix ; ) Great post lovely..so glad that you found your little piece of heaven on earth x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Tina your post has made me MISS my ROOTS....Having grown up in country NSW I can relate to EVERY point you've made....I might just add one more though if that's OK....If you're visiting a country town on a weekend & staying through to Monday, make sure you get to the pub EARLY on Sunday for dinner 'cause once the meals go off that's....No Maccas, HJ's or Subway to fall back on....Gotta LOVE that....!!

    Now I'm going to spend some time reading this LOVELY blog....!!

    Cheers for now,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post Tina. You should probably add that you need to be a good sport, which obviously you are! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous!! Do i spy my nephews' boarding school in that first shot?? Such good advice. The Northern Territory has a great saying for tradesmen, post & shops in general, NT = not today, not tomorrow, not Tuesdays, not Thursdays. You get to soak up the slow pace & appreciate that there is no need to hurry anything. In the mean time, i'm loving your childhood town of Canberra, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always enjoy my visits (passing through) Armidale. I have never spent much time there but I love the vistas. It is such a pretty place... your tips are just fantastic and your images are gorgeous! Finding the perfect spot to raise a family is tricky sometimes, but I think you have done it! X

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great post Tina! We moved from the city to the country a while back as well and can totally attest to the "smallness" of a small town. Everyone DOES know everyone and everything that's going on! And we've encountered the cattle herd road crossings while here in Ireland! As quirky as country living can be, it's so worth the change. You live in a gorgeous part of the world xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tina you have summed up the country ways very well. Our town is much,
    Much smaller than Armidale so there is a lot of foot extraction from my mouth needed. You have done Kerry proud with this post. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. as an ex-farmer's wife speaking here, i think you nailed country darl. lovely, lovely post xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this post and had to smile at turning your car engine off while the cattle cross the road, hasn't happened to me yet in my life time. Glad you made the right choice in moving to the country...looks fabulous!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this post Tina. It's all so true even here in Texas. I live in the city and have all my life but my husband's family has a small cottage in a tiny town in the country and all of those tips apply to it. I was amazed at how early shops close and their strange hours. I love the term "tree change".

    ReplyDelete
  26. i'm soooo coming for a long weekend to yours when we eventually come home my dear friend...

    love this post....melissa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely post, and a great glimpse of your country life. We plan to have a tree-change (great name!) before we retire. In the meantime we are practising.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tina, I'm a country girl so I had to laugh at some of the tips in your wonderful guest post! It's SO true that everyone knows everyone, or at least they know everyone's business! And that kitchen was truly worth the wait! Great post!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Tina, what a lovely post. Having grown up in the country side I can so relate to a lot of what you say. The close connection of people and the way everyone seem to pull together like 'family' is wonderful. Such a warm and wonderful post.

    x Charlotta

    ReplyDelete
  30. Tina, I have always wanted to visit Australia. I am a country girl, and you have made this seem like the only life, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great pearls of wisdom and such a beautiful town you live in.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Tina, I'd love to follow your blog (if you're reading this), but it won't let me in - access is by invitation only. :'(

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you comment...I feel excited, chuffed and tranquil all at the same time! Thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails